Thursday 21 March 2013

Coat Off My Back

Let's chalk that one up to a lesson learned. It was too expensive an experience otherwise.

It cost me money; it cost me my pride. It cost the very coat off my back.



A long time ago, like about 15 years ago, I bought a long, black wool dress coat. It was my first “major” purchase after getting my first professional job.  Yes, I bought it on sale, but it was good quality and I have used it every winter since.

Every year I get my coat dry cleaned at the end of the season and hang it in my closet to await the next winter.



Well...

Just over a week ago, I brought it in to a “certain” dry cleaner's in Portage to have my coat undergo its annual cleaning. I picked it up a few days later and hung it in my closet. As all of Canada knows, winter is not going away just because the calendar says it is Spring, so last Sunday, I hauled the coat out again to wear to church.

And what to my wondering eyes should appear but my winter coat with three-quarter length sleeves. I was not impressed. The kids asked if I was going to sue the cleaners. Well, no, but I was going to do something!



Which is exactly what I did yesterday after the kids' swimming lessons. I grabbed my coat and marched into that dry-cleaners ready to hear what the proprietor was going to offer to remedy the situation. I wasn't sure how much of a fuss he was going to put up.

I went in there and explained the situation. The proprietor claimed that this had never happened before in his shop.  "Look, look," he exclaimed, grabbing another coat off the rack.  "This is the same as yours," implying that it had not shrunk.  However, he could see for himself when I put on the coat that I was indeed telling the truth and not just trying to rip him off.

Well, what would you like?” he asked. Ah, I had not planned on that. I had expected an offer. “Well, I'll need a new coat,” I said. I knew he wasn't about to pay for a new coat. Finally, I came up with a suggestion.

Oh,” he kind of smirked, “but the the coat is 15 years old.” He grabbed some bills out of the till and shoved them at me. “How about this?” he said, his tone and actions shuffling me out the door. He wasn't eager to have this encounter take any longer than it already had. He had given me considerably less than I had suggested, but there I was shuffling out the door.

Of course, once I was in my vehicle and driving down the road, I started doing the math and realized he had barely given me more than I had paid to have the coat dry-cleaned. I was even more unimpressed. And I was angry – at him and at myself. Him for offering and getting away with so little, and me for accepting that, for not having come into the establishment with a clear expectation of how I wanted the problem solved, for not being assertive enough to at least stick to my original request.

So now there I was with a shrunken coat, barely enough money to pay for the meal I bought for my kids two minutes later, and severely injured pride. This was not the ending I had bargained for. Not that I really bargained – if I had it might have turned out better. I hoped at least there was some lesson in it for me.

I think there is. Number one, I need to have clearer expectations and number two, I need to carry through with my assertiveness. I started out fine but gave in too quickly. But I also think there was a larger lesson in it for me. There are times in life when I feel like I've gotten the short end of the stick, or like I'm floundering and moor-less with no one to help, sort of like how I felt standing at the counter in the dry-cleaner's, clutching the measly compensation in my hand. I wonder if that's when I need to take a good look again at my assertiveness in my prayer life. I have access to all the help and grace and wisdom I need; I only have to ask.  Have I?

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence so that we may
receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
Hebrews 4:16

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously
to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts
is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord....”
James 1:5-7


So, if there's anyone out there who needs a really good 15-year-old wool coat with short sleeves, I've got one for sale for $500 - OBO! ;)

 


2 comments:

  1. If its the same one I'm thinking of, I had a bad experience there too but I think the anger I felt walking out has erased some of the details from my mind. I remember feeling ripped off! They said they would call when it was ready, never did and so I stormed in there to do battle. Then they said they had called that morning with no answer (which they never had because we have caller id). The job had not been done properly and they wouldn't take any debit or credit card, only cash which I didn't have. I ended up telling him that for all the bother of the poor job and how long it took, I should get it for free. He wasn't impressed. I think I ended up giving him what cash I had which wasn't much and I'll never go there again. Anyhow, I need to get some pants drycleaned for Mike...what are my other options in Portage?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, there is only one dry-cleaner in Portage. I'll probably look farther afield next time I need those services!

    ReplyDelete