Thursday 9 August 2012

Birds of a Feather


This week is nestled snugly between two family gatherings – mine last weekend, and my husband's this weekend coming up. Two fairly different affairs, given the nature of the locations and the natures of our families-of-origin and I wouldn't miss either of them for the world. It has me thinking a lot about family relationships, differences and similarities.



My Dad had collected several nests he found to show his grandchildren. It was interesting to see how different birds construct their nests – different materials, located in different places, the size varying according to the size of the bird or the number of the eggs expected to be laid – and how one can tell what kind of bird had built the nest based on those characteristics because that's how that species always builds their nests, generation after generation.



It got me thinking about the “nest” I grew up in, and the “nest” I have built for my own little brood, and the ones that my siblings have built. My siblings and I all grew up in the same place, raised in generally the same way and yet when one looks at how we have all created our own homes and ways of life, one might almost think we are different species building our unique nests. There are, to a greater or lesser degree, variations in our lifestyle choices, value systems, how we make and spend money. These things can be intriguing and great fodder for discussion, or they can be confusing or worrisome; they can make one question the other person's choices, or question one's own.



This verse in Psalms made me think that when it comes right down to it, it is less important how we build our nests, or even what kind of species we are, than where we build them. So long as we construct our nests near the altar of the Almighty and sing our hearts out in praise to the Lord, what we've made our nests with, whether that be sticks and leaves, or mud, or string and animal hair, becomes not quite so critical.




“Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young -
a place near your altar,
O Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.”
                                                                   Psalm 84:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment