Tuesday 12 June 2012

A Good Egg: Lesson One


A Good Egg: Lesson One

Who knew a person could learn so much from a boiled egg?

I was on for doing the children's feature in church the other week and I generally like to do object lessons for these events. So it was Saturday afternoon and I still hadn't come up with an experiment to do that would demonstrate why it is important to solve problems in peaceful ways. I skimmed through the kids' science magazines but couldn't find anything so I hauled out my book of family fun boredom busters. And there, in the rainy day section, was this experiment with a boiled egg.

Here's what the book said to do:
Get a peeled boiled egg, a fairly narrow-mouthed glass jar, a bowl of cold water and some hot tap water. The goal is to get the egg to go through the neck of the bottle without smooshing the egg. Of course, pressing it through won't work. So what to do is place the egg in the bowl of cold water. Fill the jar with hot water and let it sit for about a minute or so to let the jar heat up. Then pour the water out, quickly placing the egg, tapered side down, into the mouth of the jar. The egg will slowly get sucked into the jar, “with a satisfying thunk,” said my book.

So I diligently followed the directions, and to my ridiculous, child-like amazement, it worked exactly like it said! And I thought, this is perfect! This shows exactly why it is important to solve problems peacefully.

Here was a problem that seemed impossible to solve, or at least impossible to solve in a non-forceful way: trying to get a soft, boiled egg into a jar with a too-small mouth without breaking the egg.



When I first placed the egg on the mouth of the jar, it seemed like nothing was happening; this experiment wasn't working. But as I waited longer, I noticed the egg slowly, slowly starting to slip down. And then I felt this almost overwhelming urge to push things along – this was taking too long; maybe if I just gave it a little nudge, I could speed things up. I didn't have to press the egg very hard while it was still in the neck of the jar to realize that any interference on my part would, in fact, crumble the egg.



I managed to restrain myself from pushing the egg long enough to watch the egg slowly, agonizingly, squeeze through the neck, getting elongated in the process, until I heard that satisfying “thunk” I was promised! And there is was! In the bottom of the jar! Where there had been no possible way to get that egg into the jar, now there it was!



How like life. There are problems that arise that are difficult and seem impossible to solve without force or aggression or violence. Maybe not necessarily physical violence, but violence to another's spirit, or our own, or to our environment. And then along the way a peaceful possibility opens up. But it is so agonizingly slow, and maybe it's not really working anyway and we want to give up, or just take some extra measure into our own hands and nudge the process along. But if we are patient enough to allow peace to do its work, we are granted a solution. Yes, with peace, it often takes longer to see the resolution to a problem, and it requires more persistence and more restraint, but the results are more satisfying, more long-lasting, even better than we could have imagined.

                         “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
                               neither are your ways my ways”, declares the Lord.
                         “As the heavens are higher than the earth
                               so are my ways higher than your ways
                          and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
                                                           Isaiah 55:8-9

                        *                     *                   *                      *

The corresponding Bible story for this feature was Gen 26:11-33. If you want to know the science behind the egg experiment, the hot air inside the jar is less dense (and thus at a lower pressure) than the cooler air outside. The difference creates a suction that pulls the squishy egg through the bottle neck. (p. 196, FamilyFun Boredom Busters).  

No comments:

Post a Comment