Thursday 25 April 2013

Drop Your Tools and Retreat

I heard an account recently of the two worst forest fires in American history. They were described as “the worst” partly because of their scale and enormity, but mostly because of the unusually high number of fire fighter casualties that occurred.

forest fire 

In subsequent months, there was an investigation and research done into the cause of the high number of deaths. They discovered something very curious. At a critical point in the fire, the command was issued: “Drop your tools and retreat.” Apparently, this was a standard procedure that was only employed in very rare cases of uncontrollable fire. It was at this point where the majority of fire fighters lost their lives. Researches discovered that there were four main reasons why this critical command was not heeded to tragic results.

1. Poor reception of communication. The fire, at its height, was incredibly loud and made it difficult for some fighters to hear the command coming over their radios; and because this command was rarely issued, the fire fighters didn't assume that's what they heard through the static.

2. Poor practice of standard procedure. Some fire fighters conceivably heard the command, but hadn't practised that procedure since it was so rarely used; they chose to stick with what they knew - fighting fires – over what they were unfamiliar with - retreating - and lost their lives as a result.

3. Poor trust. A number of the crews were operating under new commanders who had held that position for three months or less. They hadn't been together long enough to develop a trusting relationship and were hesitant to believe or follow the instructions of their new leader.

4. Poor judgement. And then there were some others. They heard the command, they had practised that procedure, they were following seasoned leaders. These were fire fighters who had either been at their job for so long or were so committed to being defined as “fire fighter” that they chose rather to be dead heroes than live “cowards” who retreated in the face of fierce fire. An “over my dead body will I retreat” kind of attitude.

The presenter* who related this account used this story as an analogy as to why people tend to be resistant to change – even good change. He said either the reasons for change aren't understood, or people are afraid of change so they stick with what they know, they don't trust the instigator of change, or they've tied their identity too closely to the way they are currently doing things so that change of any sort is an affront to their personhood.

Ah, change. Lovely, lovely change. When I look at my life, I can see all four types of resistance to change:

I'm not quite sure I really am supposed to make this change – it doesn't make much sense.

I am afraid; I may not be the happiest person right where I am, but at least what I'm doing is familiar. Change is scary. I think I'll just stick with what I know.

This is just who I am and the way I've chosen to be; I don't want to change, or I think I can't change because I don't know any other way.

But it's that third reason that's giving me pause for thought. Who is my leader? Who's giving me the commands? Am I even listening to my leader? And do I trust enough to obey?

If I claim that it is God whom I follow, have I put in the effort to develop a trusting relationship? Have I practised the “standard procedures” outlined for me in God's handbook so that I'm comfortable obeying the rare and unusual commands God may issue? If I look back over our relationship, has God proven trustworthy? Have I got my radio tuned into God's frequency?

It makes me think of Abraham, sitting there nice and comfortable in Haran, wealthy, stable, secure, family all around. What more could a person want in life? Then God issues the command: Drop your tools and retreat. Except God doesn't bother telling him where to retreat to. (Nor does God really tell Abraham to drop his tools – he just packs them all up for the journey). Just leave. Go. Start. The way will be shown (Genesis 12). Do I trust that much, that I could start out without knowing where I will end up? Do I trust enough to drop my tools, the tools I have for so long used to protect myself, and retreat to the not-yet-seen place that God will show me?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV


*The presenter was Dr. Anthony Muhummad, Ph.D.
Photo credit:  weadapt.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment