Wednesday 21 November 2012

Cafe! Oh, Late!


Our family went to Alberta this weekend to visit relatives. We left Thursday afternoon after a busy morning. I had been trying to pack clothes and food for the trip and get the kids off to school for the morning at the same time and I had been in charge of snack and leading at the ladies' Bible study I attend.

We were driving through the endless bald hills in the middle of Saskatchewan on our way back on Monday when out of the blue, I was struck with that icy sense of dread that accompanies the sudden realization that you have committed a grave error.

I had been thinking back over the last few days when I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to unplug the coffee-maker at Bible study. This is no ordinary coffee-maker; it is one of those restaurant quality coffee-makers that start heating as soon as it is plugged in. And just the week before, several ladies had been discussing how leaving it plugged in for too long could wreck the machine and how expensive it would be to replace.



So there I was with this clutch in my stomach. What was I going to do? It was by far too late to call anyone to check on it. It did no good to wish on Monday that I had done something the previous Thursday. I was doubtful as to the effectiveness of retroactive prayer, although you never know. I could even see rationally that worrying about it was even less effective in affecting the outcome of an event in the past. But what if my neglect caused the church to burn down? What if I would be facing a $1000 bill when I returned home?

The next morning when we were home, I checked Facebook first thing to see if there were any posts about the church burning down over the weekend or personal messages telling me I was responsible for the destruction of the coffee-maker – there were none. I phoned one of the Bible study ladies who assured me that the church was still standing when she was there on Sunday, but she couldn't say whether the machine was still in good working order.

So here I sit, a week after my grievous error, and I still don't know how the story will end. Did someone nobly remember to do the thing I forgot, or will I be buying the church a new coffee-maker? I was worried about that coffee even before I made it (I don't drink coffee and I have a real complex about making it) and now this coffee could really put me in a difficult spot. And there is nothing I can do about it except wait.

I will admit that I'm tempted to worry. Waiting, with all the details out of my control, tends to invite worry. And this is such a little thing in the grand scheme of things, but even from my vantage point, I can see that worrying is just as effective in accomplishing small things as grand things. So what to do instead until tomorrow? I guess I'll try to take Jesus' advice on the matter:

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
But seek first God's kingdom and God's righteousness, and
all these things will be given to you as well.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:27, 33-34

Perhaps the thing I will be given tomorrow will be a bill for replacing the coffee-maker, I don't know – but that is tomorrow's trouble. For right now, I can practice not worrying so that I will be more prepared for the bigger troubles that will come in my life. And perhaps, the next time I am asked to bring snack, I will just bring a big bag of Coffee Crisp chocolate bars and that will have to suffice for all the coffee drinkers in the group. 

1 comment:

  1. Too funny to read! Note to self: Never touch the coffee maker. Ever.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete